Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Joy


My mother’s suffered for me. An often violent marriage with five children to support, followed by divorce after we all grew up. She’s been alone since then, afraid to open her heart and trust another man. I wish I could fix her broken bits, but she continues to slowly fall apart.

She’s yearned for a life fulfilled, but can’t seem to grasp the gold ring. In the last months, even good health slips through her fingers as her 76th birthday ran like sand through the hourglass.

I called my siblings. “We must do something for mom now.” And the push and pull of different opinions threatened to derail a satisfactory conclusion.

“Break it down to something she loves,” I harp at them. Her family, her church, the Chicago Cubs and Bears, Mickey Mouse. Her list is very small.

The path is illuminated. I haven’t seen my Texas brother in ten years or my Florida brother for 8. “Let’s take mom to Disney World in Florida.”

A Christmas miracle occurs. Not one sibling bails. The Texas brother gets military tickets to the parks, the Illinois brother uses his time-share hours for lodging. I pay for mom’s airplane ticket, and the others create a kiddy for food and incidentals.

Christmas day, she opens our wrapped gift containing a Disney guide book, and the promise of great adventures. She’s blown away with happiness, crying with delight. We’ve given her the greatest gift—her family reunited, spending time with her, and a heart held in perfect balance.

http://grantourismotravels.com/2010/12/14/grantourismo-travel-blogging-competition-december/
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/?icid=IL_Redirects_IB_T_Text_None_LEXT_all


Entry for travel blogging competition


3 comments:

Unknown said...

This was so touching! Good luck on the competition and I know you'll have a great trip!

Graceful Mom said...

What a beautiful post. This moved me as I think of my own mom. Good luck in the contest, I hope you win!

Grace @ Sandier Pastures

Lara Dunston said...

What an absolutely beautiful post, Dawn. Really. What a beautiful gift.

Thank you so much for entering our competition! Best of luck!